Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Max Brenner

Max Brenner
841 Broadway, New York, NY 10003
(212) 388-0030


Max Brenner - lots to look at, lots to eat, lots of chocolate.  This place seems to be always hot and happening - especially on weekends and nights.  Every time I've tried to come here for dessert, the wait would be from 1-2 hrs. and I always ended  up walking away promising myself that one day I would get in (without waiting for an outrageously long time) and find out what the hype was all about.  Finally, one day I managed to avoid a line and the same disappointment by checking into Max Brenner's for Friday brunch.

This place is wacky and fun so much so that it brings you back to your childhood without making you feel childish.  The first thing I experienced upon stepping in was a wall of chocolate scent emanating from within.  After overcoming the intense, appetite stimulating scent, I notice the huge vat of chocolate churning away near the entrance and my heart started to beat faster and my stomach started to speak louder. 

I ordered the Well-Mannered Omelet because you know, I'm classy like that.  Although I went with a salty/savory brunch option, so many elements in it reminded me of brunch's sugary sweet brunch counterpart.  Yes, Max Brenner is such a sweet tease.  The goat cheese in my omelet was extremely light and fluffy to the point it reminded me of fresh whipped cream - both texturally and visually.  The flat cube shaped home fries were crispy, yet chewy rather than starchy and soft like home fries you'd expect in a normal brunch.  But, I guess you wouldn't be at Max Brenner if you get what you expect.  The omelet also came with a sugar dusted biscuit and a side of butter and a warm milk chocolate dip.  I've always gone by a simple principle to dining.  Regardless of the time you eat a meal, you always have room for a sweet ending.  The biscuit dunked in the milk chocolate was a perfect end to a big brunch.  The sweet side also gives diners a little taste of what Max Brenner's famous for - its chocolate and sweets.  -5/28/10

OVERALL RATING: * * * 1/2
FOOD: * * * 1/2
SERVICE: * * *
AMBIANCE: * * * 1/2
VALUE: * * * 1/2

Pros:
  • Fun atmosphere - lots to look at
  • Brings you back to childhood with a twist
Cons: 
  • Long waits on weekends and at night
Suggestions:
  • If you don't like long waits, visit Max Brenner's during an off-peak time - a weekday or for brunch


No comments:

Post a Comment